Keyloggers are the easiest programs to hack your PC completely and steal your useful credentials. Today, we will be learning how to detect and remove keylogger from your computer completely.
What is a Keylogger?
According to Wikipedia, a Keylogger is a computer program that record every keystroke made by a user. It is done in order to get fraudulent access to passwords and other useful and highly confidential credentials. The information that a keylogger steals is stored in the form of a log file in an encrypted format.
Types of Keyloggers
The keyloggers are divided into two categories depending upon the source and the destination of the keylogger. Let’s see about the different types of keyloggers in little detail.
Software Keyloggers are the special type of programs that are installed in the configuration of our PC. It is usually used by the hackers to gain access of your sensitive and useful information anonymously. These software or programs run as background process and are not easy to detect. These keyloggers store your data in a log file and send it to hacker’s email address automatically. These kind of keyloggers are really a pain inside knows and should be removed as fast as possible.
Hardware Keyloggers have been quite common in the recent years. These are the programs or software that are installed on our PC using hardware devices such as a USB. In most of the cases, these keyloggers are embedded inside the back of the CP. They are more harmful than software keyloggers in the way that they begin logging as soon as the computer boots up.
Ways to detect and remove Keylogger
We will be discussing about 3 easy methods to detect and remove keylogger from your computer. Since, there is no concept of good or bad keylogger, so it’s very necessary to remove any type of keylogger on your PC. These programs can access your confidential data and information and make you pay a huge amount for that. So, follow the below post to learn how to remove these harmful programs from your computer.
Using Task Manager
- On your keyboard, press the combination of ALT+SHIFT+DELETE.
- A window will open. Select Task Manager from the given options.
- Now, from the Task Manager dialog box, click on the Processes button at the top.
- Scroll down in the list, till you find something like winlogon.exe or Windows Logon Application. It is no problem if you see this process, but if there is a second process like winlogon(1).exe or something that you don’t know running as an executable(.exe) file, simply right click on it and select End Task.
Removing Installed Programs using Control Panel
- Click on Start and select Control Panel from the list of programs.
- Select Programs and Features from the options that are displayed.
- Now, all you need to do is look for any unknown software or programs that are installed on your PC. It may or may not be a keylogger. If you think its malicious or you don’t know about it, simply click on Uninstall button by right click on it.
- Complete the Uninstall process and you’re good to go.
Using Third Party softwares
If none of the above methods work, then its better to save your computer using some very beneficial and easy to use software. For this purpose, various Anti-rootkit tools are available in the market. We have taken into consideration some of the best among these. So, have a look at the best Anti-Rootkit and Anti-Malware tools.
Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit Beta is no doubt the best keylogger removal tool available in the market. Its unique searching of the rootkits is the best in the market. We would suggest to go for this software.
Norton Power Eraser easily destroys deeply embedded and undetectable malwares and rootkits that traditional virus scanning doesn’t always detect. It uses some enhanced scanning technology to completely remove threats that many Anti Virus programs and Windows Defender can’t identify.
Tips to remain safe from Keyloggers
There are various ways in which you can be safe from the effect of keyloggers. Always keep you Windows and Windows Defender updated. Prevent installing cracked or patched apps as their setups come with hidden keyloggers and various other malware effected software. Always keep a good Anti Virus program on your computer and reguraly scan for viruses and malwares.
Hope, these steps will save you from the attack of keyloggers and prevent the confidential information and your passwords from getting stolen.